Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Random Quickie Review: Nestle Holiday Treats



So, Nestle was kind enough to send me a bunch of holiday-themed chocolate and candy treats to review. Was there any doubt whatsoever that I would agree to the review? NO.  They sent me chocolate, thereby cracking the code to get me to do most things ;-)

I assembled the treats in a basket of mine because I thought it made the selection look more festive.  It also made me think that it might actually be pretty fun to give a friend big pile of chocolate in a gift basket, especially since I am so easily swayed by treats ;-)  (Not this basket of treats though-this one is allllll mine ;-).

16 oz. Nestle Crunch Bar:
Eeeep!  Why is this SO exciting? I do not know. I feel I love this for less than practical reasons. The kid in me is screaming, "IT IS A GIANT BAR OF CHOCOLATE!" 'Nuff said.

Assorted Mini Candy Bars (Nestle Crunch, Baby Ruth, Butterfinger):
These are your standard mini candy bars, dressed up for the holidays.  I like the candy included in the selection, and I can assure you they will not last long in my house ;-)


Wonka Spree Candy Cane: I have always liked the whole idea of candy canes tubes full of little candies.  I like Spree candy okay, and the packaging is very happy looking.  I always think about re-purposing the candy cane containers, but could never come up with a good idea for it.
 
Everlasting Gobstopper Candy Canes
Well, I have never been a fan of traditional candy canes but I really like how they look for decorating. I would have liked the appearance of these canes a lot more if they were striped.  Even though they are seasonal colors their overall appearance is not all that fun.  Plus, plain green does not look good on a Christmas tree. I confess to being curious about how it "changes colors and flavors" as it states on the box.  Finding out what that meant also seemed to involve a commitment in licking it for a while. The gobstopper canes were way too sweet for my taste, did not have much of a flavor beyond "fruity", and did not seem to change flavors as promised.

For the Love of Nerds Gotta Have Grape and Seriously Strawberry Holiday Assortment
I have always been sort of meh about Nerds on their own, but the packaging is pretty cute and I will eat them (after all of the chocolate is gone ;-)

Holiday Nerds Rope
This is actually really fun. It is a "soft gummy rope with tiny tangy crunchy Nerds candy."  The Nerds on the rope are red, green, and white.  This treat is really cute, tastes pretty darn good, and makes me want to make little wreaths out of it :-) 

All in all, I really enjoyed this assortment.  Since the Nerds Rope spurred my desire to look into this wreath concept, I thought I would share a recipe from Very Best Baking on how to make your own "Very Merry Cookie Wreath."

Be sure to check out the site for all of the details, but here is the basic recipe.

Very Merry Cookie Wreath

By:
NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE
Prep:
45 mins
Cooking:
10 mins
Level:
Easy
Yields:
20 servings
Very Merry Cookie Wreath is a fantastic and fun holiday project for kids! This recipe creates a life-sized chocolate chip cookie wreath. Everyone can get involved with decorating by adding frosting, candy and your choice of sweet confections. You’ve never had a center piece that tasted this great!

Ingredients

  • 1 package (16.5 oz.) NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Refrigerated Mini Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Dough
  • 1 container (16 oz.) prepared vanilla frosting
  • Green food coloring
  • 14- x 17-inch piece of cardboard for base, covered in foil or parchment paper or large flat platter
  • NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Morsels (such as Semi-Sweet Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Premier White)
  • Assorted WONKA® Holiday Candies (WONKA® EVERLASTING COBSTOPPER® Snowballs, NERDS® or SPREE®)
  • Decorator sprinkles, candies and sugars
  • 20-inch strip of strawberry fruit-flavored snack in 3-foot rolls

Directions

PREPARE cookies following package directions. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.

COMBINE frosting and food coloring in small bowl to shade of green desired.

SPREAD heaping teaspoons of frosting on flat sides of cookies.

ARRANGE 15 cookies on the base or platter in a 12-inch circle to form outer ring of wreath.

ARRANGE 12 cookies inside the outer ring of cookies, forming inside ring of wreath. Adhered cookies can be moved to create more space.

ARRANGE remaining 13 cookies on base ring for a second layer.

DECORATE with remaining frosting, morsels, candies, sprinkles and sugars as desired. Attach bow to top of wreath.

TO MAKE BOW:
CUT four 5-inch strips from fruit snack roll. Peel off paper backing. Cut a small “V” on end of two strips. Form loops with remaining two strips; pinch ends together. Place loops on top of strips. Pinch all together to make bow!

TIPS:
• For easier decorating, 1 cup of icing can be spooned into resealable, heavy-duty plastic bag; seal. Cut small corner of bag. Squeeze bag to use. Fill with additional icing as needed. Store any leftover icing covered in refrigerator for up to 30 days. • Cookies can also be made into a tree, initials or any other shape desired.

Enter the Nicest Nice List Giveaway here! Enter the Piczzle Giveaway here! And enter the Noxicare Giveaway here! WooHoo!

WIn a Starlooks palette!

 

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment